Let the Trying Begin

After nearly 10 years on birth control my husband and I were ready to start our family... and that's when I stop getting my period, natch.

Monday, July 24, 2006

Bloodwork Assemblyline

One of the interesting things about Center for Women's Reproductive Endocrinology and Infertility is the somewhat assembly line nature of the place. From 7:30-8:30 a.m. daily, it is basically open-season for anyone who needs bloodwork. (They are open everyday to accommodate any cycling that isn't conveniently occuring mid-week during regularly scheduled office hours, so that's a plus in my book.) After my first appointment, I knew the drill -- first you fill out this piece of paper with your name, birthday, phone number for results, and reason for coming, then you take a seat and wait for your name to be called. After about 10 minutes of working on the NY Times crossword puzzle, a nurse called my name, drew blood for both Provera and Metformin testing, and then sent me back into the waiting room. Several minutes later a different nurse called my name brought me into one of their tiny meeting rooms, and gave me my instructions and Provera rx. I thought it was weird that on my last appointment they had given me the prescriptions for prenatal vitamins, as well as for the Metformin, but not the Provera, but I'm sure there's some reason. Then I was done. All told, it took less than 40 minutes from parking my car to exiting the building, so I shouldn't complain. On some level it appeals to my efficient-minded sensibilities -- so far there hasn't been a lot of waiting to see a doctor/nurse -- but it's also a bit disconnected feeling. We'll see how it goes.

Assuming I don't hear from them by 4 p.m., I start Provera tonite. I'm not too worried about it, since I've taken it before and it didn't seem too bad on my system (though I'm sure DH noticed increased bitchiness). At the end of the week, I call the office to get confirmation for starting the Metformin.

I must say, I've become wildly appreciative of DH's insurance/benefits in recent days. Not only do we have good infertility coverage (full basic infertility coverage and 90% coverage up through 3 ART cycles), but his flexible spending account reimburses us for all the prescriptions/co-pays -- since the prenatal vitamins are an rx, that makes them cheaper than OTC ones.

We stocked up on OPTs and HPTs at Costco this weekend. I was surprised when DH said that even though it would be a little "scheduled" he was very excited to start trying to make a baby. Me too!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home